Faculty - Faculty of Business and Economics
- Text Mining, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Sentiment Analysis, Plagiarism Detection.
Expert/technical profile of the team (specific part of research)
- The Natural Language Processing and Text Mining Group at the Faculty of Business and Economics, Mendel University in Brno concerns with semantic processing of electronic text data written in natural languages with the goal to reveal knowledge hidden in the data. Various tools for data pre-processing, including stemming, stop word removal, spell checking and others are used and being developed. For the transformation of the data to a format suitable for machine learning algorithms and different software tools, a unique application (with optional graphical user interface) is being continuously developed. Advanced supervised (classifi cation), unsupervised (clustering, feature selection, associations) and semi-supervised machine learning techniques and their combinations are applied to texts. The goals of the exploration include categorization of text documents, retrieval of documents based on similarity, discovering the semantics of groups of documents, fi nding attributes that express meaning, sentiment analysis, and others. Specifi c conditions and limitations are taken into consideration, for example, low number of good examples, huge volumes of data, curse of dimensionality, sparseness of vectors representing the data, imbalanced classes, or multilingualism, which is – unlike usual scientifi c papers or newspaper articles – typical for collections of data generated by users on social networks, microblogging sites, or discussion boards. The future work is also focused on analysing relations between the text data (news, economic reports, social network posts and likes) and various economic phenomena, such as stock price development.
- Assoc. Prof. František Dařena, team leader, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +420 545 132 229
- Assoc. Prof. Jan Žižka, Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic
- Jan Přichystal, PhD., Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic
- Tomáš Foltýnek, PhD., Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic Jiří Krupník, Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic
Details of the research team: